2009/02/28

Keeping Promises

I know these steps won’t sit well with the special interests and lobbyists who are invested in the old way of doing business, and I know they’re gearing up for a fight as we speak. My message to them is this: So am I.
- President Obama, Weekly Address, 2/27

Thank. God.

And thank god for a president who doesn't stoop to something as silly and provocative as "bring it"; this is not a challenge, but a simple statement of fact: I'm undeterred by the challenge.

The interests who are (they think*) threatened by these changes, are powerful. Or, think about it, were...

They are by no means powerless now, however they are not nearly as powerful as they have been - and now is the perfect time.

Not for retribution; not at all.

Now is the time for everyone to lay their cards on the table and discuss a rational way forward that benefits us all.

* And that's why I say "they think", above - the astute among us will see that this situation is a singular opportunity.

The call is clear: Carpe diem; let's get to work.

No comments: